Saturday 16 April 2016

Fat vs Skinny

You know the drill, if there are any grammatical errors i apologise profusely, now enjoy...

Now, I am not going to even get into the technicality of this whole thing (what is fat? What is skinny? NO) but I thought I would add my two cents into the pot. So, I was on twitter the other day, as I am every day and a girl said something that brought something to my attention…if you’d like to say that. So she was talking about how people think that ‘skinny’ people do not get ‘skinny-shamed’ (you know like fat-shaming? My wording, not theirs). And I was just like she makes a very good point there. No one ever seems to think that skinny persons do not like being called skinny or being told how small they are. I’ll give them that, however, they kept going and then said something along the lines of them not seeing anyone in the media to match their body type and that’s when I drew the brakes and had to be like hol’ up. I refuse to believe that you think you can’t look at a tv, runway, magazine, anywhere really and say that there’s no one with your body type. (please to excuse my phrasing at this moment) Small boobs, flat stomach and small butt. You are telling me that while growing up you saw no one like that? Then you must have not been watching tv, looking at models, etc. Do not go there.

            As I remember it, while I was growing up, that is all I saw. Only since I have grown have I seen models of bigger sizes, persons with ‘curves’ as people like to say and more. I am not skinny, never was and probably never will be, and I have accepted that and have no problem. You say you are considered skinny and no matter how much you eat, you’ll never get bigger and that too is ok. We all just need to learn to accept what we are and who are and know that your body type does not define you as a person. However, at the same time, even though I agree with the fact that no one ever thinks about persons considered skinny not liking being called that, ‘fat’ people have still endured way more. For years they have been enduring the shame, the insults, the constant bullying, etc just because of their weight. Whether they were able to control it or not, no one ever thought to ask. I have literally heard ‘skinny’ persons say, no matter how much I eat I can’t gain weight. But have you ever heard someone ask a ‘fat’ person, is it that you have a hormonal imbalance? Have you tried to lose weight and no matter what you do it won’t go away? Do you want to lose the weight? Are you happy as you are? NO, at least not to my knowledge. And now we have reached a point in society where being bigger, is not such a bad thing.

            As long as you are healthy and happy, what is it really to anyone else? If you are happy and not healthy then it’s up to you and those close to you to help you to be better. ‘Skinny’ does not equal healthy and ‘fat’ does not equal unhealthy as is society’s thinking for the most part. AT the same time however, I have also realised that persons’ keep saying ‘a real woman has curves’. Let us also draw the brakes there. Who are you to decide that based off my body-shape I am a real woman? Especially when you know nothing about me. What is that really? A real woman I believe is not able to be properly defined because by saying she has to be strong, independent, etc, are you telling me that if I’m weak, I can’t be considered a real woman, if I like being dependent on someone else, I’m not a real woman. A woman is a female, a human if we want to go into species. And there are many different types. So let us not go to the whole curves= a real woman. No. You do not hear me saying a real man has defined muscles or a beard or anything of that sort.

            Slowly we’re reaching a point where we’re comfortable in our own skin, and though we still have a far way to go, we are on the path and that’s all that matters. Skinny, or fat, no matter what we are, we are all still beautiful in our own way and never you forget that

Xoxo

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment